There is no doubt about it: the new Apple iPhone 4 – being released first in South Africa by MTN – is the world's ultimate smartphone.
With MTN investing billions of rands in network upgrades over the past two years, the Apple iPhone 4 and other smartphone users can rest safe in the knowledge that the network can handle the high-intensity data requirements thrown at it.
The fourth-generation iPhone and successor to the Apple iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 4 is undoubtedly the most anticipated and desired high-technology item of 2010.
In fact, Apple reported selling three million iPhone 4 handsets within the first three weeks of its launch on 24 June – a clear indication of insatiable consumer demand for the product.
The Apple iPhone 4 has a range of state-of-the-art features:
* It is particularly designed for video calling, consumption of media such as movies, books and periodicals, music and games, as well as e-mail and Internet access.
* It is powered by the Apple A4 chip and runs on Apple's iOS4 operating system, the newest version of the world's most advanced mobile operating system, which includes over 100 new features.
* It has 512MB of eDRAM, allowing for increased performance and multi-tasking.
* It has a completely new design, the key innovation of which is its un-insulated stainless steel frame, which acts as its antenna.
* Largely due the frame antenna, it is the thinnest smartphone on the market, and the smallest iPhone yet.
* Its LED backlit liquid crystal display, known as the Retina Display, offers the highest resolution yet seen on a handset.
* It boasts both forward- and back-facing cameras, both of which can be used for WiFi video calls using the embedded FaceTime application, and boasts HD video recording.
* The front and back of the iPhone 4 are made of super-tough aluminosilicate glass, which is highly scratch-resistant and durable.
* Users can access more than 200 000 applications, including the new iMovie application built just for iPhone 4, through the revolutionary App Store.
* The iPhone 4 also features a 3-axis gyro.
* It has up to 40% longer talk time than previous models.
“This is a match made in heaven for South African consumers, and presents our customers with endless possibilities to explore via their smartphones,” says MTN Chief Marketing Officer Serame Taukobong.
“Our R15 billion investment will enable our customers to get the best possible experience not only from their Apple iPhone 4s, but any other smartphone they use on our network,” says Taukobong.
The Apple iPhone 4 will initially be available only from selected MTN-branded stores around South Africa (see table below. Availability will be from midnight Tuesday night), but will be rolled out to more than 250 outlets nationwide by mid-October.
Eastern Cape MTN Store - Hemmingsway SC A
Eastern Cape Maverick - Hemmingsway B
Eastern Cape MTN Store - Port Elizabeth (SC)
Free State MTN Store - Bloemfontein (SC)
Gauteng Cell Network – Brooklyn
Gauteng MTN Store – Brooklyn
Gauteng Cosmonet – Clearwater
Gauteng MTN Store - Clearwater (SC)
Gauteng Cosmonet – Cresta
Gauteng MTN Store – Cresta
Gauteng MTN Store - Eastgate A
Gauteng MTN Store - Eastgate B
Gauteng Cell Network – Fourways
Gauteng MTN Store - Fourways (iTalk)
Gauteng Celafrique - Menlyn Park
Gauteng MTN Store - Menlyn (SC)
Gauteng MTN Store - Morningside (SC)
Gauteng Cell Network – Sandton
Gauteng iStore Clearwater
Gauteng iStore Sandton City
Gauteng iStore Melrose Arch
Gauteng iStore Menlyn
Gauteng iStore Sandton Drive
KZN Mobile Communications – Gateway
KZN MTN Store – Gateway
KZN MTN Store - Pavilion (SC)
KZN MTN Store - Pavilion (italk)
KZN iStore Gateway
Polokwane MTN Store - Polokwane (SC)
Western Cape MTN Store - Canal Walk 1 (SC)
Western Cape MTN Store - Canal Walk 2 (SC)
Western Cape MTN Store - Tygervalley SC
Western Cape MTN Store - V+A Waterfront
Western Cape Maverick Trading – Rondebosch
Western Cape iStore Canal Walk
Western Cape iStore V&A Waterfront