Vote for IT Personality, Visionary CIO
Check out who made it to the top 10 shortlist and cast your vote for the star candidates.
The search for the IT Personality and Visionary CIO of 2014 has reached the second round.
Top 10 candidates for both categories have been shortlisted from dozens of nominations received from the IT community, ITWeb readers and the public.
The IT industry's top annual accolades are presented by The Institute of Information Technology Professionals South Africa (IITPSA), in association with ITWeb, the Gordon Institute of Business Science, and Gartner Africa.
Top 10: IT Personality
Here's the 2104 IT Personality shortlist, in alphabetical order:
1. Abraham Thomas Country GM, IBM SA
2. Alison Gillwald Executive director, Research ICT Africa
3. Ahmed Ismael Director, Siyafunda Community Technology Centre
4. Bertie Buitendag Computer science lecturer, Tshwane University of Technology
5. Bevan Ducasse CEO, WiGroup
6. Charles Pritchard Founder and CEO, Entelect
7. Denis Smit MD, BMI-TechKnowledge
8. Gian Visser CEO, Afrihost
9. Jarred Cinman MD, Native; chairman of IAB
10. JJ Milner Founder and MD, Global Micro Solutions
The IT Personality of the Year award is now in its 36th year. It recognises a person who has made an outstanding impact on the South African ICT industry over the past year, and a significant contribution to the IT profession.
Past winners include IT industry notables Alan Knott-Craig, Andile Ngcaba, Aleta Ling, Mark Shuttleworth, Ivan Epstein, Mardia van der Walt Korsten, Asher Bohbot and Rob Stokes. Last year, Mteto Nyati, then Microsoft SA MD, and Barry Dwolatzky, director of the Joburg Centre for Software Engineering, shared the title.
Top 10: Visionary CIO
Here's the 2104 Visionary CIO shortlist, in alphabetical order:
1. Brendan Haskins CIO, Cloud On Demand
2. Danny Naidoo CIO, Woolworths
3. Darryl Thwaits Group CIO, Tiger Brands
4. Jacques Barkhuizen CIO, Deloitte
5. Libisi Maphanga CIO, Independent Electoral Commission
6. Michael Greer Group CIO, Chubb
7. Robert Boccia CIO, Lion of Africa
8. Sandra Hutchison CIO, Aon Corporation SA
9. Tim Brown CIO, Stanlib
10. Tshifhiwa Ramuthaga CIO, Financial Services Board
Now in its seventh year, the Visionary CIO Award recognises an executive who has demonstrated visionary leadership in using technology to support and drive their companies to be more innovative and strategic. Past winners include Rabelani Dagada, Carl Louw, Patrick Monyeki, Sandi Macfie, and in 2012, Sello Mmakau, CIO of Home Affairs. In 2013, Sal Laher, CIO of Eskom, won this prestigious award.
We need your vote
The next stage in the process is the selection of the top five finalists in each category, taking into account the results of public voting.
Each member of the public is allowed to vote only once in each of the two categories.
Click here for criteria to consider and cast your vote by 21 September.