MTN SA joins forces with Kagiso Media to launch a women recognition programme
Today, MTN in partnership with Kagiso Media's Jacaranda FM and East Coast Radio unveiled a female recognition platform that acknowledges and celebrates the contribution made by female professionals to the growth of the information and communications technology (ICT) sector in South Africa.
This pioneering initiative, which is the first of its kind in the ICT sector, will be known as Women in ICT - Partnership for Change Awards. The platform seeks to not only recognise the role that women are playing to the development of the ICT sector, but is also geared at attracting female professionals to the ICT sector by showcasing available career opportunities in the industry that is still male dominated.
The annual awards are targeted at female professionals across the broad spectrum of the ICT sector, and the winners across various categories will be announced on August 31.
The nomination process starts on Tuesday, 5 July 2016 and eligible nominees can be nominated at https://events.mtn.co.za/Women-in-ICT. The judging process will be done by an esteemed team of professionals consisting of seasoned professionals in the ICT sector, business executives, renowned entrepreneurs and leading public servants.
The award is segmented into nine categories to cater for female contribution across the broad spectrum of the industry. The award categories are as follows:
* Leadership Recognition Award This category aims to recognises senior female executives in the ICT sector whose proven depth of experience in leading change, influencing business outcomes and leading teams has impacted positively on the organisations they lead.
* Innovator Recognition Award This category recognises women that have introduced new methods, ideas or products that are contributing in one way or the other to the delivery of a bold, new, digital world.
* Entrepreneur Recognition Award This aims to recognise wholly-owned women-run enterprises that are viable businesses that are making inroads in the ICT sector.
* Graduate Award Aims to recognise a top ICT graduate from a tertiary institution that finished top of their class. The award is open to females who graduated in the immediate year preceding the awards ceremony.
* Outstanding Woman ICT Professional This recognises an extraordinary professional who has demonstrated proven results in their area of work within the ICT sector.
* Policy maker / Public Sector Awards Recognises women in the public sector who have used ICT to improve government service delivery and/or recognises women policy-makers whose work through legislative processes has had a positive impact in the ICT or has led to greater access for women.
* Excellence in ICT Journalism Award This category seeks to recognise a journalist who has contributed immensely to creating a better understanding of the ICT industry through their reporting.
* Community Builder Recognises a woman who has made a considerable difference in her community through ICT or use of an ICT tool to make a difference in the community.
* Lifetime Achiever Recognition Award (Women Pioneer) Recognises a woman who has longstanding success in the ICT industry, has demonstrated a remarkable entrepreneurial spirit and has continually stayed ahead of the curve.
Says Mteto Nyati, MTN South Africa Chief Executive Officer: "The Women in ICT - Partnership for Change Awards gives expression to the need to change the gender demographics of the sector and to ensure that women's contribution to the growth of the sector is acknowledged and celebrated.
We hope that these awards will grow in stature to become one of the flagship events in the ICT calendar and will further serve to heighten awareness of the transformative role the sector is playing in many areas of the economy."
Mark Harris, Group Chief Executive Officer of Kagiso Media concurs, and adds: "We are pleased to partner with MTN on this noble initiative that will spearhead positive changes in the ICT sector. This partnership on Women in ICT - Partnership for Change Awards is a meeting of minds that mirrors our shared values of using the strength of our brands and platforms to drive positive change."
The winners in the inaugural edition of the Women in ICT - Partnership for Change Awards will be announced on 31 August 2016 at a gala function which will be held at Hyde Park in Johannesburg.
Launched in 1994, the MTN Group is a multinational telecommunications group, operating in 21 countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. The MTN Group is listed on the JSE Securities Exchange in South Africa under the share code: "MTN".
As at the end of 30 June 2010, MTN recorded 129.2 million subscribers across its operations in Afghanistan, Benin, Botswana, Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire, Cyprus, Ghana, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Republic, Iran, Liberia, Nigeria, Republic of Congo (Congo Brazzaville), Rwanda, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Syria, Uganda, Yemen and Zambia. The MTN Group is a global sponsor of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa and has exclusive mobile content rights for Africa and the Middle East. Visit http://www.mtn.com and http://www.mtnfootball.com.